Welcome to Frisby on the Wreake

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Village History

  Click here to view an old map of Frisby.

   Old Photographs of Life in Frisby                        

 

 

Frisby Home Guard - Oct 1944

 

Sam Marriott, the local Baker, whose house and bakery (now   long closed) are next to the village stores in Main Street

 

The corner of Mill Lane and Great Lane, in 1900. The thatched cottage to the right is now called Sunnyside Cottage.

 

A view of Main Street in 1900. The Black Horse Public house is on the left.  The landlord at that time was Austin Rodwell.

 

The market cross on Main Street in 1916. This view can be compared with the one below taken sixteen years earlier.

 

The thatched cottage on Rotherby Lane in 1906. The cottage still stands showing very little alteration and is now called Zion House.

 

The market cross in 1900. To the left of the photograph is the workshop of Anthony and William Whitaker, saddlers.

 

Main Street in 1904. A wheelbarrow stands outside the wheelright's shop owned by Charles Edward Frisby. The sign for the Bell public house (licensee Robert Weston) is just visible in the centre background. On the right is the bakehouse run by Samuel Arthur Marriott.

    

 

John Pearson - Dairyman

 

Atkin Greaves and William Skinner The Miller and the Butcher

Frisby Cricket Team about 1920.

  Digital Living 2005. All Rights reserved